I-HELP is the only emergency shelter open every night in the Monterey area without a waiting list for men and women: a hot meal, a safe place, and a caring community. 80% of our expenses are for staff. They require a bus driver and 1-2 monitors per program every single night.
They’re the Interfaith Homeless Emergency Lodging Program—operated by Outreach Unlimited, a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization in the Monterey Bay, California area. They’ve been in continuous operation for the past 30 years.
Our three main purposes are to:
- offer homeless men and women short-term lodging and evening meals on a nightly basis during their stay in the program
- provide tailored advice and support in finding a job or going forward in other areas of their life
- help each participant develop and maintain a positive outlook and living pattern that fosters personal autonomy and growth
I-HELP is run by a volunteer board of directors and small part-time staff, with the indispensable collaboration of over 60 Monterey-area churches and other faith communities and service organizations that provide overnight accommodation, warm meals, and person-to-person support. Our participants sleep on mats in a shared space. They provide 11,214 bed nights a year. (2019).
Our administrative costs are only 3% of our total budget with the all the money received going directly to the program.
- Transportation cost to host locations, showers, and laundry:
driver reimbursement gasoline maintenance of aging vans
- Part-time staff who: stay with participants 24×7 help participants plan and move forward with
finding a job, housing, or other goals
- COVID related expenses
Who Are They? They’re the Interfaith Homeless Emergency Lodging Program— operated by Outreach Unlimited a nonprofit 501(c) (3) #38-3934212. I-HELP is run by a volunteer board of directors and a part-time staff, with the indispensable collaboration of over 60 Monterey area congregations, faith communities, and service organizations that provide, on a rotating basis, overnight accommodation, warm meals, and person-to-person support.
Every effort is made to help each person be successful. They do this by helping each participant to set goals for health care, work or income/benefits and housing. Our overnight monitors provide help in adjusting to group living.
Please donate generously to this worthy organization.