You are invited to join Antiracism Learning Circles this fall, organized by the First Unitarian Church of Portland, OR. First Unitarian in Portland, Oregon, is the organizer, and we are eager to include participation from UUs and other faiths everywhere. We hope some of your members can join us.
You are invited to join Antiracism Learning Circles this fall. It’s on zoom, so you can join from anywhere!
LEARNING CIRCLES are small discussion cohorts based on a book or podcast that provide:
· Important learning about white supremacy, racism, and our national history;
· The opportunity to build trust and go deep in small group discussions over time;
· A safe place to have difficult discussions and deal with discomfort;
· Creating and strengthening relationships with other UUs; and
· Connection, focus and purpose in a virtual setting.
How Do LEARNING CIRCLES Work?
· Each cohort (typically 4-12) gathers for a series (from 4-10 sessions) of facilitated Zoom discussions.
· Register for a particular Learning Circle. Meeting dates & times vary.
· Each individual is given the opportunity to share reactions, then we discuss as a group.
· We ask that you plan to attend all sessions so we can build bonds of trust and insight.
Full descriptions, schedules & registration information is HERE.
This fall we are offering:
· Seeing White – our real history in the US – the one none of us were taught in school (podcast)
· This Land – the legal structure defending Native American rights, and the threats to that structure (podcast)
· The Repair – how we have gone wrong in our relationship with earth and its uneven impacts (podcast)
· Caste: The Origins of our Discontents – how we have been shaped by a hidden caste system (book)
· For The Wild – highlighting conversations with guests of color about hard truths in dark times (podcast)
· The 1619 Project: A New Origin Story – a profoundly revealing vision of American past and present (book)
· Barred: Why the Innocent Can’t Get Out of Prison – what is wrong with our criminal justice system (book)
· The Land That Has Never Been Yet – an examination of whether we have ever had a real democracy (podcast)
For questions contact Jody Feldman at firstname.lastname@example.org